Monday, September 10, 2007

Segovia

Yesterday we went to Segovia. It was absolutly amazing. The city has so much history and so much character, not to mention great tapas and cheap souveniers.
The most impresive thing was the Roman aqueduct still standing after 2,000 years without mortar or quickcreat. I wish my brother Eric would have been able to see it and the tools they used to build it because i'm sure he would have been in awe. The aqueduct is massive and long. It was built to bring water up to Segovia which was built on a moutain surrounded by a river for protection. They captured the water coming off of an opposing mountain and lead it to the ancient city. They even had the water covered to protect it from impurities (bird poop). There is no water in it anymore. I guess a few years ago they experimented and tried getting it to work again but the water leaked and they were afraid of erosion so they stopped that.
There were also multiple churches, a giant cathedral, and a castle built for Fernando y Isabel de Castilla y Leon. "Tanto monta, monta tanto, Isabel como Fernando"- this was a statement of equal power between Fernando y Isabel, although Isabel had much more land and riches. The castle suffered a very damaging fire so most of the rooms had to be restored.

Look at the pictures and captions here, http://wisc.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2281687&l=4f082&id=8628715. My operating system is too old for Picassa. I'm looking into updating. Mom make sure Eric sees them.

7 comments:

Matthew Piette said...

Great photos! although since I don't have a facebook account I had to use someone else's.

Chas said...

Facebook? I don't have an account either. I wonder if the boys do?

In th emean time, no pics.

Abbie N. said...

Angel, great entry. You'll need to figure out how to put your photos on Picasa. Uncles, can you help?

Dan Piette said...

Did you eat at the suckling pig place in Segovia just under the aquaduct?

I understand it is great. I was there, but couldn't eat.

Dan Piette said...

OH, I can get the photos with no account at Facebook.

I am of no account.

Charlie Nordholm said...

I saw the photos & will be booking a flight for a visit late spring. Real cool!

Partying till 7am?!?! Thats it. Its a party off!

Madeline said...

Yeah, you are sapposed to be able to get the photos with out a facebook account.